Feature Articles: Computers & the Internet
You can reprint these articles in your newsletter, magazine or website.
- Be Safe Online: OnGuard Online [PDF]
Being on guard online can help protect your information, your computer-even yourself. Seven practices can help you be safer while surfing.
- Holiday Shopping on the Internet: Discovering Which Web Sites are Naughty or Nice [PDF]
Whether you’re looking for a toy, a trinket or a travel deal, doing your holiday shopping on the Internet can be fun, easy, and practical. At the same time, viewing a product on the screen can present different challenges than seeing it in the store. The FTC offers recommendations to help you have a successful experience when buying from an online retailer or an auction website.
- Holiday Shopping on the Internet: Planning Ahead for Secure Surfing [PDF]
The Federal Trade Commission, the nation's consumer protection agency, encourages shoppers to follow these tips to steer clear of holiday grinches.
- Parent's Guide to Social Networking [PDF]
The Federal Trade Commission urges parents and kids to talk about the risks involved in using social networking sites and offer tips for using them safely.
- Tips For Protecting Laptops From Thieves [PDF]
Tips to keep in mind when you take your laptop out and about.
- Tips on Using Wi-Fi Hotspots [PDF]
Warning to consumers that Wi-Fi hotspots are often not secure and gives tips for protecting personal information online.
- Your Computer: Part of the "Zombie Army"? [PDF]
Learn how to reduce your chances of becoming part of a robot network called a botnet.
- Avoiding the Pitfalls of Online Penny Auctions [PDF]
Explains how online penny auctions work and how to recognize some of their pitfalls before you get caught in a bidding frenzy.
- Protecting Your Child's Personal Information At School [PDF]
Offers tips to help limit the risks of child identity theft at school. Highlights laws that are in place to help safeguard your child and your family’s personal information.
- Tips On Avoiding Work-At-Home Scams [PDF]
Advises consumers interested in work-at-home opportunities (including envelope stuffing, online searches, and medical billing) to research these offers carefully.
- Research Can Help Online Buyers Save Money [PDF]
Offers tips to help you get the best deal when you shop online.