Since 1992, the FTC has conducted a regular, systematic review of all its rules and guides on a rotating basis. Rules and guides are critically important, but need to be reviewed periodically to ensure they are up-to-date, effective, and not overly burdensome. The FTC places each of its rules and guides on a 10-year review calendar. When they come up for review, we ask the following questions:
- What is the economic impact of the rule or guide?
- Is there a continuing need for the rule or guide?
- Are there possible conflicts between the rule or guide and state, local, or other federal laws or regulations?
- Has the rule or guide been affected by any technological, economic, or other industry changes?
We rely on the public, including consumers, businesses, advocates, industry experts and others to help us decide whether it’s time to update a rule or guide, leave it as is, or even rescind it. We’ve eliminated dozens of rules and guides since we started this process, and modified many others to keep pace with changes in the marketplace.
You can see all the rules and guides currently under review here and comment on them during the public comment period. You also can find a copy of our review schedule and a list of rescinded rules and guides on this site.
We recently asked for comments on our review schedule and process. You can read the comments we received here.
FTC News and Additional Resources
- Close comments for Guides for the Jewelry, Precious Metals, and Pewter Industries (comment period ended August 27, 2012)
- Close Proposed Revisions to Children's Online Privacy Protection Rule (comments period ended September 24, 2012)
- FTC Finalizes Procedure Changes to Streamline Agency Investigative Processes and Keep Pace With Technology (September 20, 2012)
- FTC Proposes Changes to its Care Labeling Rule for Clothing (September 11, 2012)
- FTC Proposes Changes to its Fur Labeling Rules (September 7, 2012)
- FTC Extends Deadline to Comment on Proposed Modifications to the Children's Online Privacy Protection Rule Until September 24, 2012 (August 27, 2012)
- FTC Extends Deadline for Public Input on Jewelry Industry Marketing Guides (August 15, 2012)
- FTC Seeks Public Comments on Proposed Amendments to the Premerger Notification Rules Related to the Transfer of Exclusive Patent Rights in the Pharmaceutical Industry (August 13, 2012)
- FTC Announces Schedule for Reviewing Regulations (April 6, 2012)
- Systematic Review of Commission Rules and Guides (April 6, 2012)
- FTC Regulatory Review Plan: Ensuring FTC Rules Are Up-to-Date, Effective, and Not Overly Burdensome (September 2011)
- FTC Chairman's Statement Regarding President's Reform Initiative (July 11, 2011)
- FTC News Release: FTC Enhances Regulatory Review Program (July 7, 2011)
- FTC Commission's Regulatory Review Testimony (July 7, 2011)